The Quest to be Fit

Tracking my journey to better health

Back in the saddle again! January 31, 2009

Hi friends!  I’m finally back after like 4 days MIA.  So sorry ’bout that… I got a flu/bug that was not too nasty, but just rather annoying, and I wasn’t really in the mood/energy state to post. 

A strange thing I’ve noticed about myself the last few times I’ve been sick (as in hailing the porcelain throne):  whatever food I ate that day I can’t stand anymore.  It is weird.  Let’s just say I’m not sure I can eat tofu for awhile.  [Stomach churning at the thought.]  Moving on…

Wednesday’s Master Recycler class was great!  We learned about household hazardous chemicals and the life of plastics.  I am totally excited to rid my house of all the chemical shit we have around.  Anymore I can’t stand the smell of most things, but now that I know more about how harmful they are to the environment I am surely not going to buy them again.  We also learned about how “biodegradable” plastics are a recycling nightmare, as they only contaminate other plastics. So, please note, if you have plastics that say “PLA” on the bottom, do NOT put them in the recycling bin.  They are also not readily biodegradable, so they won’t fare well in your compost pile.  Best to reuse them until they break, and then chuck ’em.

Here’s an odd thing about the advice Metro gives on hazardous waste–they say to use up the shit I have now, rather than taking it all to the hazardous waste facility.  I guess I’m kinda confused…it makes sense not to waste things, but if I can prevent using more chlorine bleach, for example, and releasing environment-harming chlorine gases, shouldn’t I do that?  Or if I can prevent applying more chemical-based lawn & garden products that could run into the river, shouldn’t I?  I guess I’ll try to ask and clarify why to use up stuff vs. just take it in to be safely disposed of.

During class my stomach was really, really unhappy, and I thought about leaving a few times.  Somehow I made it through those 3 hours, went home, loaded up on the Tums, then Alka Seltzer, and then got sick.  Bleh.  I was freezing all night, had a painful tum-tum, and didn’t sleep very well.

Thursday I was in bed like all day.  Getting out of bed to then sit down and check my work email was even tiring.  It was nice to have a down day and watch lots of TV, sleep, and snuggle with Lily Bird 🙂  I finally ate around 1pm:  a bowl of Barbara’s Shredded Oats with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and a small cup of coffee with Silk vanilla creamer.


After that long, hard day of being in bed (yawn!), I was craving a piece of pizza.  I watched “Snapped” on Oxygen and there was a Pizza Hut mentioned in there during discussion of when/how a killer lured her victim in, and that’s what got me started on pizza.  Chris was kind enough to stop and run in to Pizza Schmizza on the way home and grab our dinner.  I had a slice of cheese 🙂  Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.


Friday was better, but I still wasn’t 100%.  The tum was still a bit off, and the thought of my traditional lunch foods made me want to hurl.  I couldn’t even stand the smell of lettuce when prepping our lunches.  So weird!  I ate a bowl of Shredded Oats with almond milk while getting things ready.  Forgot the pic…

By 11:30 I was feeling a bit off, and thought I should eat something.  I was also incredibly thirsty all day.  My mom ended up getting this flu/bug, too, and while on the way to drop off LB at her house she asked that I stop and buy a can of Campbell’s Chicken Noodle Soup for her.  I picked up one for myself, too, and had half of it for lunch.  I also had Wheat Thins Chips on the side. 


That’s better 😉 

I was quite busy at work, and around 2:30 I had the rest of my soup while on the phone with a client.  Great manners, I know, but he knew I was illin’ and didn’t mind. 

I wasn’t lasting as long as I’d hoped, and wanted to leave by 4pm.  Going to dinner at Fajitas sounded good, since I totally wasn’t up to cooking and could get a big bowl of tortilla soup 🙂  So I did just that!


I really shouldn’t have had any booze (yes, that’s a Casuela on the side), as it gave me a big headache.  I only drank as much as you see gone in that pic, and handed the rest off to Chris.  This didn’t stop me from drinking La Casa, though. 


Friday night/Saturday a.m. I still had a bad headache and didn’t go to yoga this morning.  I did enjoy laying around more and watching TV, though.  I had the same breakfast I’ve had the last few days, so I won’t bore you with the pic.

When I got hungry later on I sought out something different, and ended up putting some Barney Butter and raisins in a tortilla and grilling it ’til warm.  Mmmm!  Thanks for the inspiration, Erin!


I needed more than that, and was still totally lazy figuring out what to eat, so I had a small bowl of PB Puffins with almond milk.


These weren’t quite what I’d hope for flavor-wise.  They were just ho-hum to me.  I like them, but I’m not sure I’ll buy another box.  I’d hoped for a peanut butter version of Barbara’s Shredded Oats or Quaker Oatmeal Squares.  Anywho…

I didn’t do much this afternoon, either.  I did, however, finally tackle the huge pile of dishes/crap that had stacked up in the kitchen starting Wednesday morning.  Chris was a sweetie and emptied the d/w yesterday, so thankfully that helped things go faster. 

Hunger struck after that, and I totally craved fruit, so I finally had the other grapefruit I bought like two weeks ago.  It was yummy!  I squeezed the juice out of the rinds after I ate the sections and drank that, too.


When dinner time rolled around my thoughts turned again to Mexican or pizza.  I totally didn’t have anything to cook, and didn’t want to, and Chris wasn’t opposed to Mexican.  Total repeat of last night, except my soup was even yummier!  I let them put the regular amound of cheese and a little sour cream in tonight, and it was incredibly rich and tasty.  (I’ve excluded sour cream and some cheese for calorie purposes for the last few months.) Mmm, mmm, mmm, mmm, mmm.  So satisfying!


And, La Casa was fabulous, too.  Note the orange peels in the background… I ate all of mine and Chris’ orange slices that were in our Casuelas. 


You’ll notice that I pretty much abandoned healthy eating the last 3 days for the sake of eating what sounded good, and would comfort me.  I don’t feel too bad about it, either, since I was sick and was just really doing what my body asked. 

I imagine that tomorrow I’ll get back on track naturally, which will start with oats or cereal in the morning, followed by yoga.  We’ll see if that taxes me, and if I’m up to a weight and/or cardio workout as well.  I won’t push it if my body is too tired, but I look forward to at least doing yoga.

Just gotta throw this in… last night Chris lost his keys :shocked:  He was out at a local bar or two and doesn’t know what happened to them.  He walked home as usual, I heard him at the front door so I let him in, and he didn’t notice until right before dinner that his keys are missing.  We searched high and low, in the yard, in the street, and still can’t find them.  I’m kinda wiggin’ out knowing his keys are out there somewhere, but at least there’s no address or identifying information attached to them.  Anyone breaking in here will have to answer to the LB and a loaded .44 Magnum (seriously), but I’m still at tad uncomfortable.  Have you ever lost your keys and felt this way?  I’m going to make Chris change the lock set tomorrow if he can’t find them tonight. 

Well, I think I’ve probably tuckered out your eyes reading my huge blog!  I type pretty fast, and have a tendency to write a lot.  Thanks for hanging in there with me, and for your well wishes since Wednesday!  Peace out, bloggies!


5 Responses to “Back in the saddle again!”

  1. carolinebee Says:

    I would be totally interested to hear that info on wasting vs. using that bad stuff! And I’ve been kinda sick the past two days too- i couldn’t even look at a food blog b/c food was so repulsive to me! That’s kinda scary about the keys- i guess if someone does find them..the chances are he/she is NOT a psycho, but just doesn’t know who or where to turn them in 😀

  2. Erin Says:

    Oh my god, had no idea how sick you were! Poor baby! WHat you referred to in the beginning in known as aversive conditioning – once I ate shrimp then got the pukes and I never ate it again! 😉
    I lose my keys like once a month! I swear, I just leave them all over the department. Good luck finding them! Is your mom all better too?

  3. Andrea Says:

    Glad you’re feeling better! Upside: look at all the new foods you’re going to be forced to make now that the old ones make you sick 🙂

  4. Kersten Says:

    I like your optimism, Andrea. The last few days have shown me that I’m totally not branching out, tho, and am just wanting to eat like one plain thing per meal! Carbs abound!

  5. Kersten Says:

    Erin, I’m still feeling the aversive vibe today, totes! My mom is better, thanks for asking 🙂 We’ve searched high and low again for Chris’ keys and no luck.

    Caroline–hope you’re all better soon! Sorry you illin’ too. I keep hoping no one nearby found the keys. At least Chris is changing the lockset now so we don’t have to worry.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s