The Quest to be Fit

Tracking my journey to better health

Double duty December 30, 2008

How about a two day recap for ya?

Monday morning was painful since we had to get up before 8.  It was really dark, raining hard, and I had to drag my ass out of bed.  Ugh.  Thankfully I had prepped some of the lunch stuff, so that went more quickly than usual.  When I got to work I had my oats and a cup of coffee.  After not having the coffee from our service at work for 2 weeks, I noticed just how caffeinated it is!!  Wowza, I was buzzin!  My oats were yummy:  1/4 cup steel cut oats, 1/4 cup almond milk, 1/4 cup water, 2 tsp Barney Butter, 1 tbsp raisins, and a big dash of cinnamon.  I was so busy while eating it I forgot to take a pic until my last bite!


My day was busy busy busy, and went really fast.  I had a technology issue with one of my software applications, and while I was on hold for like an hour I ate some lunch and continued getting ready for my meeting.  I eventually had to hang up without getting the issue resolved.  Grrreat.


My wrap was a sundried tomato flatout, a few slices of turkey, grated parmesan cheese (ooh-la-la!), spinach, broc slaw, and ground pepper.  I also had ~1/2 cup of cottage cheese, and 1/2 a Fuji.  Yes, my place mat was a client file :-O

I was in meetings all afternoon, and quickly had a little snack between meetings around 2:45.  Dannon Light & Fit vanilla with 1/2 a nana and lots of cinnamon.


I had an acupuncture treatment after my last meeting. Yay! I have been feeling a bit out of whack the last few weeks as you know, and I think my treatment helped.  Afterward I thought I was going to get Lily, pick up Chris, drop him at home, and meet Erin and Andrea, but Chris suggested that he eat at Mexican and my mom could meet him there.  That turned into her picking him up, taking Lily with her, and having dinner with him, and me getting to go downtown to get Erin earlier than anticipated!  Sweet.  I had the other half of my apple on the way out of the office. 

Erin was shopping when I arrived downtown (I’m jealous!), and after I picked her up we headed out to NoPo (North Portland) to Dalo’s for Ethiopian cuisine.  I remembered Andrea mentioned it before, and I was excited to try something new.

Our evening there started off with a laugh, as the door was locked and no one would let us in when we knocked!  Eventually someone left and we headed on it.  For dinner we all shared a vegetarian platter with a lentil chili, other lentil mix, cabbage/onion/potato mix, and spinach with onions.  The bread was really intriguing…spongy, stretchy, and cold.  I’m not a big fan of cooked spinach, but everything else was nummy.  Thanks, Andrea, for the great suggestion!

100_0402100_0404 The injera up close

We had a blast talking about life, blogs, and our crazy young histories.  It felt so good to laugh, reminisce, and have a really great time. I miss socializing with the lady friends, especially Erin since we don’t see each other much.  Thanks for the great night, ladies!  I was totally high on the laughing endorphins for hours afterward 🙂

Today (Tuesday) was still a painful morning, but not as busy of a day.  I started out with the same oats as yesterday, which I totally thought I photographed but didn’t. 

Work, work, work, and then lunch while on hold for yet another technology issue (this one related to personal stuff).  My lunch was the same as yesterday, too:



The afternoon flew by, too, and when we got home Chris wanted a burger, so I fired up my new grill pan.  Low and behold we still had some bacon we took from Christmas, and I cooked that up for him, too.  My burger was a bit more plain, no bacon, but that was fine by me 🙂


In all I had 1/4 lb. 93% lean ground beef with grated Parmesan and spinach on top, 1 tbsp. organic ketchup, a sliced dill pickle, and about 1/2 a Fuji.  I became full more quickly than anticipated, and made sure not to overdo it since I knew I’d be heading to the gym.

Yoga was okay; I had a difficult time detaching enough to fully get into it.  Afterward I did an upper body workout, and a cardio circuit of 10 intense minutes each on the treadmill, stairmill, and elliptical. 

After I played with Lily and got cleaned up I knew I needed a snack, and some nut butter had my name on it.  I had the rest of my Fuji, a few tsp of raisins, and a tbsp of Barney Butter. 


And so Tuesday ends….have a splendid Wednesday/New Year’s Eve!  No big plans for us… how bout you?


2 Responses to “Double duty”

  1. carolinebee Says:

    No plans yet! Hopefully by tonight I will….I’ve had Ethiopian, for the first time a few months ago! It’s totally yummy, the bread is so spongy and weird, haha..but I came home with leftovers for days and it all tasted so good, glad u like it!

  2. Hangry Pants Says:

    Aww, yay for being high on laughing endorphins! I love a good laugh fest with the girls!

    Happy New Year Kersten!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s